Avodah Zarah Chart #4
Chart for Avodah Zarah Daf 49b-50a
THE STATUS OF STONES FOUND NEAR "MARKULIS"
(ACCORDING TO RASHI)
|1||THE STONES ARE WITHIN
4 AMOS OF THE IDOL,
WITH NO ELEVATION BETWEEN THEM
|Prohibited (1)||Prohibited (1)|
|2||THE STONES ARE WITHIN
4 AMOS OF THE IDOL,
WITH AN ELEVATION BETWEEN THEM
|Permitted (2)||2 stones: Permitted (2)
3 stones: Prohibited (3)
|3||THE STONES ARE NOT WITHIN
4 AMOS OF THE IDOL
Chart for Avodah Zarah Daf 50b
WHICH MELACHOS MAY BE PERFORMED DURING CHOL HA'MO'ED AND DURING SHEVI'IS?
|Mutar (5)||Asur (6)|
to cuts in the bark)
|Mutar (7)||Asur (6)|
|Asur (8)||Asur (8)|
where branches were pruned)
|Mutar (5)||Mutar (9)|
on unripe fruit)
|Asur (10)||Asur (10)|
(1) Since there is no elevation separating the stones from the Markulis, these stones are considered as being "seen with" the Markulis, and we must suspect that they were once part of the Markulis and fell from it. (RASHI DH b'Tefisah Achas; see TOSFOS.)
(2) Since there is an elevation separating the stones from the Markulis, the stones are not considered as being "seen with" the Markulis, and thus we do not suspect that they fell from the Markulis. (RASHI DH d'Ika Govah; see TOSFOS.)
(3) Rebbi Yishmael maintains that the manner of serving the Markulis is to construct a small Markulis (of three adjacent stones) next to the large Markulis.
(4) It is only the manner to make a small Markulis adjacent to the large one, but not far away from it.
(5) This Melachah is permitted because it serves only to preserve the tree and it does not improve the tree.
(6) This is prohibited during Chol ha'Mo'ed because of the excessive Tircha, exertion, involved.
(7) There are two types of "Zihum." The type that merely preserves the tree is permitted, while the other type (that improves the tree) is prohibited.
(8) Pruning is prohibited during Shevi'is and Chol ha'Mo'ed because it is not done merely to preserve the tree but to strengthen it.
(9) The Gemara finds this point irreconcilable with the Halachos of 1:B and 2:B. Why is smearing permitted on Chol ha'Mo'ed while other Melachos that involve similar amounts of Tircha are prohibited?
(10) This is prohibited because it is not done to preserve the tree, but to improve its fruit.