|(Permission is granted to redistribute this material as long as the Kollel
header and the subscription info at the end are included.)
CHARTS FOR LEARNING THE DAILY DAF
brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Har Nof
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Email - email@example.com
Rosh Hashanah Chart #2
Rosh Hashanah Daf 13b-15b
DETERMINING WHICH YEAR AN ITEM OF PRODUCE BELONGS TO
||THE TYPE OF PRODUCE
|| WHEN THE PRODUCE
IS CONSIDERED FINISHED
||ILAN (FRUIT TREE)(1)
||RICE, MILLET, AND
| Hashrashah (according to Rabah (5))
Gemar Pri (according to Shmuel(7) (13b))
|Planted for eating: Lekitah
Planted for seeds: Hashrashah (8)
(1) According to Rebbi Nechemyah, if a tree produces fruit that is all
collected at one time in the year ("Ilan sh'Oseh Bereichah Achas") its year
is determined by Lekitah and not Chanatah.
(2) According to Rebbi Eliezer (14b), the Esrog has the status of an Ilan
and we follow the Chanatah for all matters (Orlah, Revai, Shevi'is,
Ma'aser). See next Chart.
(3) According to Raban Gamliel (14b), the Esrog tree has the status of a
Yerek regarding Ma'aser, and thus we follow the Lekitah for Ma'aser. See
(4) According to RASHI, Tevu'ah refers to wheat and grapes. According to
TOSFOS, it refers only to wheat, but the same Halachah applies to grapes.
(5) This is also the opinion of Rebbi Shimon Shezuri.
(6) The produce of these types of Kitniyos neither grow Shelish nor are not
harvested all at one time.
(7) This is the way Rashi learns. Other Rishonim, though, learn differently.
(8) Tosfos (14a DH Havah) says that the Rabanan (in Shevi'is 2:9) argue and
hold that Pul ha'Mitzri always follows Lekitah.
(9) That is, when its seeds are mature enough that if planted, they would
For questions or sponsorship information, write to firstname.lastname@example.org