brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
1. In order to overturn a decree of the Chachamim, more Chachamim must convene and officially overturn the decree.
2. The Chachamim decreed that people within one day of travel distance from Yerushalayim should not redeem Neta Revai.
3. Rebbi Eliezer wanted to declare his Neta Revai fruits ownerless so that the poor could bring it to Yerushalayim.
4. The Gemara explains that this rule (#1) applies both according to Torah law and rabbinic law.
5. Abaye says that an egg laid on Yom Tov should not be affected by this principle (#1).
A BIT MORE
1. We may not presume that it was nullified simply because the reasoning behind it no longer applies.
2. Technically, one may redeem Neta Revai, the fourth-year fruits of a tree, which must be eaten in Yerushalayim, in order to be able to carry a small amount of money instead of a large amount of fruit to Yerushalayim. However, in order to beautify the markets of Yerushalayim with fruit, the Chachamim decreed that people within one day's travel should bring up the actual fruits and not money.
3. He lived within one day's distance of Yerushalayim and did not want to bring up the actual fruit, but he wanted the decree to be fulfilled. He was then told that the decree had been repealed by Rebbi Yochanan ben Zakai and his colleagues, and he could therefore redeem the fruits with money.
4. We see that Hashem stated people should not go up to Mount Sinai before the giving of the Torah, but He had to specifically state that after the Shofar would sound after the giving of the Torah that people could ascend the mountain. ????????Similarly, this repealing of a decree regarding Neta Revai (#2-3) is an example of this being done by a Rabbinic decree.
5. The egg itself was not discussed. Rather, whether witnesses are accepted at different points in the day was discussed, and this issue affects the laws of Yom Tov only indirectly. Since the laws of Yom Tov were not directly instated, they should not be subject to this principle.
Next Daf Index to Revach for Maseches Beitzah