brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
|YOMA 38 - Dedicated in memory of Max (Meir Menachem ben Shlomo ha'Levi) Turkel, by his children Eddie and Lawrence and his wife Jean Turkel/Rafalowicz. Max was a warm and loving husband and father and is missed dearly by his family and friends. His Yahrzeit is 5 Teves.|
1. The Gemara explains the miracle that happened with the doors of Nikanor.
2. All of the doors of the Beis ha'Mikdash were later coated in gold, except for the doors of Nikanor.
3. The Mishnah discusses families that did not want to share with others the knowledge of how to perform their special services in the Beis ha'Mikdash.
4. Even though some of these families were cursed, they did have positive elements which were remembered fondly.
5. One should not give his child a name that was the name of an evildoer.
A BIT MORE
1. When Nikanor was transporting his heavy copper doors by sea, an intense storm threatened to capsize the boat. The people on the boat case one of the two doors overboard, and it miraculously appeared under the boat when it arrived in Eretz Yisrael.
2. Some say that this was done in order to commemorate the miracle that happened with the doors. Others say that all of the other doors were made out of a copper that looked like gold.
3. The Mishnah says that while the people mentioned in the previous Mishnah were always praised when mentioned, the people in this Mishnah are cursed. This is as the verse states, "The remembrance of a righteous person is a blessing, and the name of the evildoers should rot."
4. For example, although Beis Garmo did not want to teach others how to make, bake, and remove the Lechem ha'Panim from the oven, they were remembered fondly for not having any bread made of clean flour in their house. They did this in order that people not suspect them of using the Lechem ha'Panim breads, or even its recipe, for their own meals.
5. This is derived from the verse, "And the name of the evildoers shall rot," meaning that there should be no [active] memory of their names.
Next Daf Index to Revach for Maseches Yoma