brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
1. There is a dispute about the law in the case of a person who makes two consecutive, contradictory statements effecting a change in Halachic status.
2. The Gemara discusses a Korban Pesach that was slaughtered during other days of the year (not Erev Pesach) with two intents -- that it is a Korban Pesach, and that it is not a Korban Pesach.
3. Rava: Such a Pesach (#2) is valid.
4. The Gemara discusses the case of a Korban Pesach that was slaughtered for someone other than the owner during the rest of the year.
5. Rav Papa and Rava discussed this question (#4).
A BIT MORE
1. Rebbi Meir: We generally consider the first statement more significant and binding. Rebbi Yosi: The last statement is equally significant and binding (in general).
2. If one slaughters a Korban Pesach during the other days of the year with intent that it is different Korban (such as a Shelamim), it is valid, but if he intends it to be a Korban Pesach, it is invalid. The Gemara discusses what happens if he has both intents while he slaughters the animal.
3. Rava reasons that just as a Korban Pesach generally has the status of a Pesach and yet we see that having intent that it should be a different Korban makes it valid, if one explicitly intends that it is a Pesach he can make it valid by thinking immediately afterwards (during the service) that it should not be a Pesach.
4. The question is whether we compare it to a case of slaughtering a Korban Pesach with intent that it is a different Korban (such as a Shelamim), which makes it valid during the rest of the year (but not on Erev Pesach).
5. Rav Papa: Just as having intent that it should be a different Korban invalidates it on Erev Pesach, but renders it valid during the rest of the year, having intent that it is for a different person -- which invalidates it on Erev Pesach -- should render it valid the rest of the year. Rava: One cannot derive the law in the case of intent for a different owner from the law in the case of intent for a different Korban, and therefore it is invalid.
Next Daf Index to Revach for Maseches Pesachim