brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
1. Thirteen Avodos in the Beis ha'Mikdash were distributed based on a lottery that took place every morning.
2. There were four chambers in the Beis ha'Mokad.
3. There were two small doorways next to the Great Gate that led into the Heichal.
4. The Mishnah states that in Yericho they could hear many sounds from the Beis ha'Mikdash.
5. The Mishnah continues and says that in Yericho they could smell the incense offered in the Beis ha'Mikdash.
A BIT MORE
1. These Avodos were: the Shechitah of the Korban Tamid, accepting its blood and sprinkling, bringing its limbs to the Mizbe'ach (six Kohanim were selected), offering the accompanying flour, wine, and Chavitin (three Kohanim were selected), taking the ashes from the inner Mizbe'ach and from the Menorah (two Kohanim were selected). (The lottery for these Avodos was in addition to the lottery for the Terumas ha'Deshen.)
2. The four chambers were: the Lishkas ha'Tela'im (the pen which held the sheep for the Korban Tamid), the Lishkas ha'Chosmos (to which tokens were bought to be exchanged for the flour and libations brought with a Korban), the Lishkas Beis ha'Mokad (the passageway to the Mikvah), and the Lishkas Lechem ha'Panim (where the Lechem ha'Panim was made).
3. The small doorway on the south side was never opened, as the verse states, "And Hashem said to me that this gate should be closed and never be opened, and a man should not enter through it, for Hashem the G-d of Yisrael enters through it" (Yechezkel 44:2).
4. For example, in Yericho they could hear the opening of the Great Gate, the sound of the singing, and the sound of the Shofar.
5. Rebbi Elazar ben Diglai: My father had goats in the cities of Michvar that would sneeze from the smell of the incense.
Next Daf Index to Revach for Maseches Tamid