brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
|BECHOROS 19 (1 Iyar) - Dedicated by Ari Friedman and family of Lawrence, N.Y., l'Iluy Nishmas Ari's father, Reb Yakov Yosef ben Rav Nosson Neta Z'L Friedman in honor of his Yahrzeit. Jack Friedman exemplified true Ahavas Yisrael and Ahavas Chesed; may he be a Melitz Yosher for his children and grandchildren and for all of Klal Israel.|
1. The Mishnah discusses a disagreement in a case in which an animal's first offspring was born by Caesarian section, and the second was born naturally.
2. The argument in the Mishnah (#1) is whether it is necessary to be both the first offspring and the first natural birth in order to have the status of the firstborn animal.
3. The Mishnah discusses a disagreement about a person who bought a female animal from a non-Jew, but does not know whether it ever had offspring.
4. The Gemara differentiates between two different types of "Rov," generally defined as a Halachic assumption that since most items are a certain way, the item in doubt is like the majority as well.
5. There is a disagreement about whether Yibum may be done with a minor.
A BIT MORE
1. Rebbi Tarfon says that both animals should graze until they receive a blemish, and then they may be eaten by their owners. Rebbi Akiva rules that they both clearly are not firstborn animals.
2. Rebbi Tarfon says that either the first offspring or the first natural birth gives the animal the status of a firstborn. Rebbi Akiva maintains that an animal must be both in order to be considered a firstborn animal.
3. Rebbi Yishmael says that depending on the type of animal, until a certain age it certainly did not give birth, and afterwards it is doubtful whether it gave birth. Rebbi Akiva rules that one must analyze blood that comes out of the birth area, as this might be a sign that it has previously given birth.
4. Ruba d'Isa Kaman means "a majority that is before us," such as when twelve people on a Beis Din vote that the defendant is innocent and eleven vote that he is guilty. Ruba d'Leisa Kaman means, "a majority that is not before us," such as the Rov that most animals are not Tereifos.
5. Rebbi Meir says that it may not be done with a minor, since we must be concerned that the girl will be found to be an Ailonis (who cannot give birth), who is exempt from Yibum. According to the Rabanan Yibum may not be done with a minor, because most minor girls are not found to be an Ailonis.
Next Daf Index to Revach for Maseches Bechoros