brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
|12TH CYCLE DEDICATIONS:|
ERUVIN 96-100 - Dedicated in memory of Max (Meir Menachem ben Shlomo ha'Levi) Turkel, by his children Eddie and Lawrence and his wife Jean Turkel/Rafalowicz. Max was a warm and loving husband and father and is missed dearly by his family and friends. His Yahrzeit is 5 Teves.
1. The Gemara discusses the circumstances under which one transgresses the prohibition of Bal Tosif.
2. There is a dispute about whether Tefilin are worn on Shabbos.
3. The words "Hishamer," "Pen," and "Al" are words that indicate a negative prohibition.
4. There is a dispute about whether one may lay Tefilin at night.
5. The Gemara notes various acts that certain virtuous women performed, and the Chachamim did not protest.
A BIT MORE
1. In one answer, the Gemara says that the Tana Kama maintains that one transgresses Bal Tosif even without intent to perform a Mitzvah (such as when he does the extra part of the Mitzvah, such as wearing Tefilin with a fifth Parshah). Raban Gamliel says that one transgresses Bal Tosif only when he intends to perform a Mitzvah with this extra part of the Mitzvah.
2. Rebbi Yosi ha'Glili: The verse, "And you will guard this law *from days* (mi'Yamim)," implies not all days, excluding Shabbos and Yom Tov. Rebbi Akiva: "This law" refers to Pesach, not to Tefilin (the Gemara later proves that Rebbi Akiva says that one may not lay Tefilin on Shabbos).
3. The Gemara concludes that when these words are used to say that one should not do something, they teach a negative prohibition. When they are used to say that one should do something (as in, "And you will guard this law"), they teach a positive commandment.
4. Rebbi Nasan: It is permitted. Yonasan ha'Kitoni: It is forbidden.
5. Michal bas Shaul put on Tefilin, and the wife of Yonah used to be Olah l'Regel. The Chachamim did not protest (even though doing these acts appeared like adding to the Torah's commandments, -Rashi).
Next Daf Index to Revach for Maseches Eruvin