brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
1. The Persians ruled for the first 34 years of the second Beis ha'Mikdash, until they were defeated by the Greeks.
2. The Chashmona'im ruled for 103 years. The Kingdom of Hurdos lasted anther 103 years until the destruction of the Beis ha'Mikdash.
3. The world will exist for 6000 years: 2000 years of Tohu, 2000 years of Torah, and 2000 years of the days of Mashi'ach.
4. If someone wants to know the year of the Shemitah, he should count the years from the destruction of the second Beis ha'Mikdash and add one extra year.
5. When a person counts the year of Shemitah from the destruction of the Beis ha'Mikdash, if he counts two Yovelos as 100 years he should add an extra two years to the Shemitah.
6. Rebbi Chanina maintains that if someone offers to sell you a field 400 years after the destruction of the second Beis ha'Mikdash, you should not buy it, even if it is worth 1000 Dinar and it is discounted to one Dinar.
A BIT MORE
1. The Greeks ruled for 180 years until they were defeated by the Chashmona'im.
2. The commencement of the Roman Empire coincided with the defeat of the Greeks at the hands of the Chashmona'im. The first 26 years the Romans gave Yisrael its own autonomy until, they reneged on their agreement.
3. The 2000 years of Torah started from when Avraham Avinu was 52 years old, and it ended 172 years after the destruction of the second Beis ha'Mikdash.
4. The Beis ha'Mikdash was destroyed toward the end of Motza'i Shemitah. Therefore, the first year after the destruction of the Beis ha'Mikdash is the second year of Shemitah.
5. This is in accordance with the view of Rebbi Yehudah, who maintains that the year of Yovel which is the fiftieth year of Shemitah also counts as the first year of the next Shemitah cycle.
6. This is because the imminent arrival of Mashi'ach will make the field worthless. The Tana of the Beraisa states that if someone offers to sell you a field 4230 years after the Creation do not buy it. The Tana of the Beraisa extended the Galus for three years more than Rebbi Chanina.
Next Daf Index to Revach for Maseches Avodah Zarah