brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
1. According to Rebbi Yehudah, a Kusi may not be used as a Mohel. Rebbi Yosi disagrees.
2. According to Rebbi Yehudah ha'Nasi, a Nochri may not be used as a Mohel.
3. If someone makes a Neder not to benefit from Arelim, he may benefit from a Yisrael, even one who is an Arel. He may not benefit from a Nochri, even one who has a Milah.
4. There is a disagreement about whether a woman may be a Mohel.
5. A Yisrael may allow a Nochri to heal his animal but not to heal the Yisrael himself.
6. A Yisrael should not use a Nochri doctor even if he is ill and the illness is life-threatening.
7. A Yisrael may use a Nochri doctor if he is critically ill and definitely will die if he does not receive medical attention.
8. Even if a Yisrael is critically ill and about to die, he may not use a doctor who is a Min.
9. According to Rebbi Yishmael a person should worship Avodah Zarah rather than give up his life.
A BIT MORE
1. A Kusi performs Milah in the name of Har Grizim, which is the Avodah Zarah of the Kusim. Therefore, his Milah is invalid, according to Rebbi Yehudah. Rebbi Yosi disagrees because he rules that a Bris Milah need not be done Lishmah.
2. Even a Nochri who had a Milah may not be used as a Mohel.
3. Conversely, one who makes a Neder not to benefit from Mulim may not benefit from a Yisrael, even one who is an Arel. He may benefit from a Nochri, even one who has a Milah.
4. According to Rav, a woman may not be a Mohel. According to Rebbi Yochanan, a woman may be a Mohel.
5. However, he may take medical advice from a Nochri. The Nochri will be afraid to give him bad advice because of the concern that he will ask others for advice as well.
6. Even if there is no other doctor available, he should not use a Nochri doctor. The Nochri will definitely kill him, but it is not definite that he will die from his illness.
7. Even though it is possible that the Nochri will kill him, nonetheless it is preferable to take the risk because of the possibility that he may be healed completely.
8. Even though he will definitely die without medical attention, he may not use a doctor who is a Min, because he will thereby be drawn to heresy. It is better to lose one's life in this world than to lose one's life in the World to Come.
9. However, if ten other Jews are present, he should give up his life rather than worship Avodah Zarah, in order to prevent a Chilul Hashem.
Next Daf Index to Revach for Maseches Avodah Zarah