brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
1. The numerical value of the word "Torah" is equal to the number of Mitzvos which were given to us by Moshe.
2. David ha'Melech summed up the 613 Mitzvos in eleven essential Mitzvos.
3. Yeshayah summed up the Mitzvos in six essential Mitzvos.
4. Michah summed up the Mitzvos in three essential Mitzvos.
5. Yeshayah subsequently summed up the Mitzvos in two essential Mitzvos. Chabakuk summed them up in a single Mitzvah.
6. Moshe enacted four decrees which were later annulled by four different Nevi'im.
7. Rebbi Akiva expressed joy upon seeing a fox exiting the Holy of Holies.
A BIT MORE
1. The numerical value of the word "Torah" is 611, the number of Mitzvos we heard from Moshe Rabeinu. The remaining two Mitzvos, the first two Mitzvos of the Ten Commandments, we heard directly from Hashem.
2. In the early days, there were many Tzadikim who were capable of fulfilling all of the Mitzvos. In later generations, there were fewer Tzadikim. It became difficult to fulfill all of the Mitzvos, and therefore David ha'Melech condensed the Mitzvos to make it easier to fulfill them.
3. The six Mitzvos are: following the path of Tzedakah, speaking with righteousness, despising theft, refraining from taking bribery, closing the ears from hearing the disgrace of the Chachamim, and closing the eyes from seeing improper sights.
4. The three Mitzvos are: acting with Mishpat, doing Chesed, and acting in an unpretentious manner.
5. Yeshayah condensed the Mitzvos into: acting with Mishpat and doing Chesed. Chabakuk condensed the Mitzvos into the Mitzvah of Emunah.
6. Moshe decreed that Klal Yisrael will be secure only when they act with the righteousness of Yakov, that they will not have peace of mind among the nations of the world, that their sons will be punished for the sins of their fathers, and that Klal Yisrael will be lost among the nations of the world. All four decrees were annulled by Nevi'im in later generations.
7. The fox was a fulfillment of the prophecy of Uriyah, who prophesied that Zion will plowed over. The fulfillment of the prophecy of Uriyah portends the eventual fulfillment of the prophecy of Zecharyah, who prophesied that one day old people will sit along the streets of Yerushalayim.
Index to Revach for Maseches Makos