brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
1.Bil'am blessed Klal Yisrael that they should be like a cedar tree.
2. Bil'am, Iyov and Yisro all served as advisors of Pharaoh.
3. Bil'am advised Balak that the G-d of Yisrael hates promiscuity.
4. Bil'am went to Midyan to collect the wages for his advice which led to the death of twenty four thousand of the Bnei Yisrael.
5. Bil'am, Do'eg and Achitofel all died at the age of thirty four or thirty three.
6. Hashem admonished Do'eg ha'Adomi saying, "When you study the topics of murder and slander, how do you expound upon them?"
7. Hashem wants us to have a good heart; that is more important than how much Torah we learn.
8. Rebbi Ami says Do'eg forgot all of his Torah before he died. Rav Ashi says he became a Metzora.
A BIT MORE
1. The blessings of Bil'am were of dubious value because a cedar tree does not grow near water, it has few roots, and it does not rejuvenate. Even though it stands strong against most winds, a strong southern wind can topple it.
2. Bil'am advised Pharaoh to drown the Bnei Yisrael at sea, and he was punished with death. Iyov kept his silence, and he was punished with afflictions. Yisro ran away, and his reward was that his descendants sat among the Sanhedrin in the Lishkas ha'Gazis.
3. He advised them to set up stands selling linen garments, and to have elderly women selling on the outside of the stands and young women selling inside.
4. Bil'am was in Midyan at the time of the war that the Bnei Yisrael waged against Midyan. He was killed during the war with a death that encompassed all four forms of Misos Beis Din.
5. Resha'im do not live to even half of a full lifespan. Therefore, Bil'am, Do'eg, and Achitofel did not reach the age of 35, which is half of a full life of 70 years.
6. Although Do'eg was a great Talmid Chacham, his Torah was only skin deep, and he was a murderer. He killed the Kohanim of Nov and he spoke Lashon ha'Ra against David ha'Melech.
7. In the generation of Rava, they learned Uktzin in thirteen Yeshivos. In the [earlier] times of Rebbi Yehudah they learned only Seder Nezikim. Nonetheless, at a time of drought, as soon as Rebbi Yehudah took off his shoe the rains fell. In the times of Rava, they prayed continuously and no rains fell.
8. Rebbi Yochanan says that three destructive angels confronted Do'eg: one made him forget his learning, one burned his Neshamah, and the third scattered his dust in the synagogues and study halls.
Next Daf Index to Revach for Maseches Sanhedrin