brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
1. The Gemara discusses the rules for determining the minimum amount of an item for which one is liable if he carries it into Reshus ha'Rabim on Shabbos.
2. The Gemara gives some practical examples of these rules.
3. The Gemara mentions other quantities of items for which one is liable for carrying on Shabbos.
4. One is liable for carrying parchment on Shabbos only if when he carries a piece large enough to be used to write the Shema.
5. One is not allowed to keep in his possession a loan document that has been paid.
A BIT MORE
1. For example, if the smallest significant amount of an item is used for two things, one rare and one common, the amount should be decided based on the common usage. This is the law even if it would result in a leniency, such as in a case where the amount used for the uncommon purpose was smaller than the amount used for the common purpose.
2. For example, wine is commonly used for drinking, and uncommonly used for healing. Therefore, the significant amount (for which one is liable for carrying on Shabbos) is based on drinking even though it is more than the amount used for healing. On the other hand, honey is commonly used both for eating and for healing. The significant amount (for which one is liable for carrying on Shabbos) is the amount used for healing, which is less than the amount used for eating.
3. For example, the Gemara says that in order to be liable for carrying an erased document, the document must be large enough to cover a small flask of perfume. This is because people do not use a document that has been erased for writing another document.
4. In order to be liable for carrying ink, one must carry enough ink to write two letters.
5. The lender may not keep it because it presents him with the opportunity to collect the loan twice. The borrower also should discard it in order to ensure that it not be brought back to the lender by mistake, giving him the opportunity to try to collect a second time.
Next Daf Index to Revach for Maseches Shabbos