brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
1. Miriam, Moshe's sister, was stricken with Tzara'as on the 22nd of Sivan.
2. Hashem reacted to the crying of Bnei Yisrael when they believed the report of the spies who said that they could not conquer Eretz Yisrael.
3. The destroyers of the Beis ha'Mikdash entered the Heichal and defiled it on the seventh of Av.
4. Rebbi Yochanan says that he would have instituted the fast to be on the tenth of Av, not the ninth.
5. When Turnusrufus plowed over the Heichal, he also decreed that Raban Gamliel should be killed.
A BIT MORE
1. Moshe sent out the spies on the 29th of Sivan.
2. Hashem said, "You have cried for no reason, I will give you a reason to cry on this day (the Ninth of Av) for all future generations." For this reason, many national tragedies were destined to happen on this day.
3. They lit the fire that destroyed it only on the ninth of Av towards nightfall. The fire burned the entire tenth of Av.
4. This was because the Heichal burned mostly on the tenth of Av. The Rabanan did not enact the fast on the tenth, as they understood that the fast should be instituted based on when the destruction started, not when it mainly took place.
5. However, a righteous member of his cabinet was promised Olam ha'Ba by Raban Gamliel if he would cause the edict to be nullified. The person promptly jumped to his death from a roof, causing the decree to be nullified (as their custom was that a decree was nullified whenever a member who had been involved in its passing died before it was carried out).
Next Daf Index to Revach for Maseches Ta'anis