brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
|BERACHOS 13 - Two weeks of study material have been dedicated by Mrs. Estanne Abraham Fawer to honor the Yahrzeit of her father, Rav Mordechai ben Eliezer Zvi (Rabbi Morton Weiner) Z'L, who passed away on 18 Teves 5760. May the merit of supporting and advancing Dafyomi study -- which was so important to him -- during the weeks of his Yahrzeit serve as an Iluy for his Neshamah.|
1. The Gemara explains that one who calls Avraham Avinu by the name "Avram" transgresses.
2. This prohibition (#1) does not apply to Sarah or Yakov, even though their names were similarly changed.
3. The Mishnah discusses when one may interrupt the recitation of Shema.
4. There is a dispute about whether one may recite Shema in a language other than Hebrew.
5. One should lengthen his pronunciation of the word "Echad" in Keri'as Shema.
A BIT MORE
1. The verses, "Your name will be Avraham" (a positive commandment), and, "Your name shall no longer be called Avraham" (a negative commandment) are the sources for this prohibition.
2. The verse regarding Sarah commands only Avraham not to call her "Sarai." Regarding Yakov, some verses after the name change still call him "Yakov," and thus there clearly is no prohibition.
3. Rebbi Meir: Between chapters (see #4) one may ask about the welfare and answer due to the honor of a person who approaches. In the middle of chapters, he may ask and answer due to fear of a person who approaches. Rebbi Yehudah: In the middle of chapters, he may ask due to fear of one who approaches, and he may answer due to the honor of the one who greets him first. Between chapters, one may ask due to the honor of a person who approaches, and answer anyone.
4. Rebbi: It must be said in Hebrew. Chachamim: It may be said in any language.
5. One who prolongs the word "Echad" merits that his days and years are lengthened. The Gemara explains that he must lengthen it enough to contemplate on the fact that Hashem is King over what is above, below, and in all four directions.
Next Daf Index to Revach for Maseches Berachos