Bechoros Chart #2
Chart for Bechoros Daf 14a-16a
THE LAWS OF KODSHIM THAT BECAME BLEMISHED
|KODSHIM THAT BECAME BLEMISHED
BEFORE THEY WERE SANCTIFIED
|1)||BECHOR, MATANOS||Patur (1)||Chayav|
|2)||GIZAH V'AVODAH||Asur mid'Rabanan (2)||Mutar|
|3)||VELADAN||Nifdin Temimim||Mutar (3)|
|5)||SHOCHATAN BA'CHUTZ||Patur (5)||Mutar|
|6)||TEMURAH||Ein Osin (6)||Ein Osin (7)|
|7)||IM MESU||Yipadu (according to R. Shimon and the Chachamim) (8) Yikavru (Tana d'Vei Levi)||Mutar|
|8)||ME'ILAH||Mo'alin (9)||Ein Mo'alin (7)|
|KODSHIM THAT BECAME BLEMISHED
AFTER THEY WERE SANCTIFIED
|1)||BECHOR, MATANOS||Patur (10)||Patur (11)|
|2)||GIZAH V'AVODAH||Asur v'Lokeh (10)||Asur v'Lokeh (11)|
|3)||VELADAN||Kadosh (some say it may be offered as a Korban, some say it must be left to graze (12))||If the fetus was formed before Pidyon and born afterwards, it is prohibited mid'Rabanan (13). If the fetus was formed after Pidyon, it is permitted (11).|
|4)||CHALAVAN||Asur (10)||Asur (11)|
|5)||SHOCHATAN BA'CHUTZ||Chayav (Kares) (with Dokin sheba'Ayin, according to R. Akiva, who rules "Im Alu Lo Yerdu")||Mutar|
and it must be offered (10)
and it must be left to die (14)
|7)||IM MESU||Yikavru (15)||---|
|8)||ME'ILAH||Mo'alin (10)||Ein Mo'alin (11)|
(1) This is because Kedushas Damim exempts an animal from Bechor and Matanos, like Kedushas ha'Guf does, as the Gemara (15a) derives from a verse (Rashi 14a, DH Kedushas Damim).
(2) The Rabanan prohibited Gizah and Avodah, so that people not mistakenly think that it is permitted to shear and work with an animal sanctified as a Korban with Kedushas ha'Guf. Rebbi Elazar maintains that all types of Kedushas Damim are forbidden mid'Rabanan, even Bedek ha'Bayis (14a).
(3) When the fetus was formed before Pidyon, it is permitted because the Pidyon of its mother takes effect on the fetus as well (Rashi 15b, DH Lo Alimei). When the fetus was formed after Pidyon, it is permitted because it is like Chulin and has no Kedushah.
(4) Since the animal is Kadosh with Kedushas Damim, it is forbidden to benefit from it (Neheneh Min ha'Hekdesh).
(5) The reason why it is not Mutar is because the animal is Kadosh, and one may not slaughter a Kadosh animal for personal purposes.
(6) The source is the verse "Tov b'Ra" (Vayikra 27:10), which teaches that "Ra me'Ikara Ein Oseh Temurah" -- since it was blemished at the time that it was sanctified, Temurah does not apply.
(7) This is because the animal is Chulin and has no Kedushah.
(8) Rebbi Shimon learns this from "Osah" (Vayikra 27:12). The Chachamim (if they argue) maintain that Kedushas ha'Guf does not need Ha'amadah v'Ha'arachah.
(9) That is, the Isur of Me'ilah applies. This is because they are Kadosh with Kedushas Damim.
(10) This is because it is Kadosh with Kedushas ha'Guf.
(11) This is derived from the comparison to Tzvi and Ayal.
(12) This is derived from "Im Zachar" or "Asher Yiheyeh Lach."
(13) Although it has no Kedushah, the Rabanan made a decree lest one use the mother to raise flocks (see Insights). Rav Huna says that one must lock it in a room to die. Rebbi Chanina says that immediately prior to the redemption of its mother, one designates it for the same type of Korban and redeems it after it develops a mum.
(14) This is derived from "mi'Ma'alei ha'Gerah... Tamei."
(15) They need Ha'amadah v'Ha'arachah.