1) [line 1] D'MEVATEL - that he nullifies [the board to the house, in which case it is clearly prohibited unless it was previously attached]
2) [line 9] HIZKAKTUNI LOMAR ... - a) you have forced me [to reveal the standards to which I hold myself, one of which is that I will not state] that which I never heard from my Rebbi (RASHI); b) are you trying to force me [into saying that which I never heard from my Rebbi? (MAHARSHA)
3) [line 13] LO HINACHTI - I did not leave behind
4) [line 13] SICHAS CHULIN - idle chatter
5a) [line 17] LO HIRHER - he did not think [Torah thoughts]
b) [line 17] BI'MEVO'OS HA'METUNAFOS - in dirty alleyways
6a) [line 18] DOMEM - [learning] silently
b) [line 18] SHONEH - [learning] aloud
7) [line 20] HIGI'A ES - the time has arrived
8a) [line 20] CHUTZ ME'ARVEI PESACHIM - with the exception of Erev Pesach [when it was necessary to prepare the Korban Pesach and insure that the children took naps in order to remain awake for the Seder (Pesachim 109a)]
b) [line 21] V'ARVEI YOM HA'KIPURIM - and Erev Yom ha'Kipurim [when one must eat]
9) [line 22] SHE'TISHREH ALEIHEM SHECHINAH - that the Divine Presence should dwell upon them
10) [line 23] SHE'TA'AMOD LA'HEM CHAMAH K'YEHOSHUA BIN NUN - that the sun should stand still for them, as it did for Yehoshua Bin Nun [at Giv'on during the conquest of Eretz Yisrael (Yehoshua 10:12-14)]
11a) [line 25] MIKRA - the twenty four books of the Torah
b) [line 25] HALACHOS - Halachos l'Moshe mi'Sinai
c) [line 25] AGADOS - the homiletic discussions of the Gemara
12a) [line 26] DIKDUKEI TORAH - the derivation of Halachos from seemingly extraneous letters in the Torah
b) [line 26] DIKDUKEI SOFRIM - Rabbinic decrees [intended to keep one from sinning]
13a) [line 26] KALIM V'CHAMURIM - logical means of exegesis; more than one Kal va'Chomer
b) [line 27] GEZEIROS SHAVOS - Halachos derived from other unrelated topics in which a like word appears; these cannot be applied without a tradition
14) [line 27] TEKUFOS - calculations of the orbits of the sun and the moon
15a) [line 27] SICHAS MAL'ACHEI HA'SHARES - the ability to enlist the help of angels (MAHARSHAL)
b) [line 27] SICHAS SHEDIM - the ability to enlist the help of demons (MAHARSHAL)
c) [line 28] SICHAS DEKALIM - the ability to portend secrets and wonders based upon the way in which date palm branches and leaves move (see Aruch Erech Sach #1)
16a) [line 28] MISHLOS KOVSIN - parables [through which earlier generations delivered messages of self-improvement] involving launderers
b) [line 28] MISHLOS SHU'ALIM - parables [through which earlier generations delivered messages of self-improvement] involving foxes
17) [line 29] MA'ASEH MERKAVAH - a) metaphysics (RAMBAM, Hilchos Yesodei ha'Torah 2:11, 4:13); b) the workings of the Divine Chariot (RITVA; see Background to 5:24)
18) [line 29] HAVAYOS - the questions of
19) [line 30] "L'HANCHIL OHAVAI YESH, V'OTZROSEIHEM AMALEI." - "I have what to bequeath to those who love me, and to fill their storehouses" (Mishlei 8:21).
20) [line 32] PORE'ACH - fly
*21*) [line 32] MIYAD NISRAF - would be immediately consumed by fire a) due to the fiery angels gathered round to hear his Torah (RASHI); b) due to the fiery Shechinah (Presence of Hash-m) that rested upon him as he learned Torah, just as it rested upon Har Sinai (RABEINU CHANANEL, TOSFOS); c) This is a metaphor, meaning that he would immediately debunk any unsound reasoning presented to him. (introduction to SEFER YUCHASIN)
22) [line 32] ROSHO V'RUBO - his head and most of his body. During the times of the Mishnah and Gemara people ate while reclining; it was therefore appropriate to speak of a Sukah that held only the front of one's body. This is defined as a Sukah of six Tefachim square.
23) [line 34] LO KACH HAYAH MAISEH? - did the following story not happen as follows?
24) [line 34] L'VAKER - to visit
25) [line 39] KALASO - his daughter-in-law
26) [line 39] PICHES ES HA'MA'AZIVAH - he removed the plaster
27) [line 40] ZEH EZRACH - this refers to men and women alike
28) [line 40] "... [KOL] HA'EZRACH [B'YISRAEL YESHVU BA'SUKOS.]" - "... [all of] the members [of Klal Yisrael should dwell in Sukos]" (Vayikra 23:42).
29) [line 42] "[... V'CHOL MELACHAH LO SA'ASU,] HA'EZRACH [VEHA'GER HA'GAR B'SOCHECHEM.]" - "[... on the tenth of the seventh month, afflict yourselves; do not perform any Melachah, neither] the member (of Klal Yisrael) [nor the convert who dwells in your midst]" (Vayikra 16:29).
30) [line 44] HILCHESA NINHU - they are [both] Halachos l'Moshe mi'Sinai
31) [line 44] HAI KRA V'HAI HILCHESA? - [of the two verses, in which one the added "Hei" includes and in the other it excludes,] which one is the verse [interpreted as it should be], and which one is [interpreted differently due to] the Halachah l'Moshe mi'Sinai?
32) [line 45] MITZVAS ASEH SHEHA'ZEMAN GERAMA (MITZVAS ASEH SHE'LO HA'ZEMAN GERAMA / MITZVAS ASEH SHEHA'ZEMAN GERAMA)
(a) Mitzvos that must be performed at a specific time, such as of the day (e.g. daytime only, such as Tzitzis) or year (e.g. Sukah, Lulav, and Shofar) are called Mitzvos Aseh sheha'Zman Geramah. Women are exempt from these Mitzvos, with the exception of Kidush on Friday night, Matzah on Pesach night, the Korban Pesach, Hakhel, and Simchah on Pesach, Shavu'os and Sukos.
33) [line] "ISH O ISHA [KI YA'ASU MI'KOL CHAT'OS HA'ADAM ... V'ASHMAH HA'NEFESH HA'HI.]" - "Any man or woman [who transgresses any of the sins of a person ... and that soul shall be found guilty.] (Bamidbar 5:6).
D.A.F. Home Page
See the Daf
|Sponsorships & Donations
Mailing Lists Archives Ask the Kollel
Dafyomi Weblinks Dafyomi Calendar
Hear the Daf