|(Permission is granted to redistribute this material as long as the Kollel
header and the subscription info at the end are included.)
CHARTS FOR LEARNING THE DAILY DAF
brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Har Nof
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Sanhedrin Chart #4
Sanhedrin Daf 35a-36a
WHAT OVERRIDES SHABBOS(1) AND AVODAH?
|| [AVODAH(2) OVERRIDES SHABBOS](3)
|BURYING A MES MITZVAH
(Kal v'Chomer from 2a:B)
(The Kal v'Chomer is refuted from 3b:B)(7)
|EXECUTING CHAYAVEI MISAH
(Kal v'Chomer from 3b:B)
(Kal v'Chomer from 3a:B)
(1) Wherever Shabbos is mentioned in this chart it includes Yom Tov as well,
because there is no difference between Shabbos and Yom Tov other than the
allowance to cook for "Ochel Nefesh" (Rashi, beginning of 36a)..)
(2) "Avodah" refers to offering a Korban Tzibur.
(3) This law is not stated explicitly in our Sugya but in other places.
However, the entire discussion of our Gemara is based on the assumption that
Avodah overrides Shabbos (and Avodah is thus more Chamur than Shabbos).
(4) Bamidbar 28:2, as the Gemara in Pesachim (66a) teaches.
(5) It is not necessary to give a reason for why the Gemara initially
suggests that that the burial of a Mes Mitzavah does not override Avodah. On
the contrary, why *should* it override Avodah?
(6) Bamidbar 6:7.
(7) This is also learned from a verse according to the She'iltos (Parashas
Vayechi #34 cited by GILYONEI HA'SHAS here; this also appears to be the
intention of the MECHILTA in Parashas Mishpatim, Nezikin #4;).
(8) Shemos 21:14. The verse is referring even to a Korban Tzibur since it
says "from *My* Mizbe'ach," implying that the Kohen is offering a Korban
which is uniquely chosen by Hashem (referring to the Korban Tamid, which is
the most essential Korban [and is called "Korbani"], Rashi), as Rava says
(9) Shemos 35:3. We learn through a Gezeirah Shavah ("Moshvoseichem" in
Bamidbar 35:29, the verse discussing Misas Beis Din) that even for the sake
of executing someone who is Chayav Misah, it is prohibited to ignite a fire
For questions or sponsorship information, write to email@example.com