Sanhedrin Chart #13
Chart for Sanhedrin Daf 64b
WHAT WE LEARN FROM THE VERSES OF "KARES" THAT ARE WRITTEN
WITH REGARD TO "MOLECH" AND "AVODAH ZARA"
|1)||"U'MI ZAR'ACHA LO SITEN... V'NICHRESU HA'NEFASHOS HA'OSOS"
(Vayikra 18:21, 29)
|Rashi: -- (1)
[Tosfos: Avodah Zarah k'Darkah]
|Rashi: -- (1)
[Tosfos: Avodah Zarah she'Lo k'Darkah]
|2)||"ASHER YITEN MI'ZAR'O LA'MOLECH... V'HICHRATI OSO"
|Molech, or (2) Ma'avir Beno she'Lo k'Darkah||Molech, or (2) Ma'avir Beno to A.Z. she'Lo k'Darkah|
|3)||"V'HICHRATI OSO V'ES KOL HA'ZONIM... ACHAREI HA'MOLECH"
|Avodah Zarah she'Lo k'Darkah (3)||Rashi: Avodah Zarah she'Lo k'Darkah
[Tosfos: Kares in Olam ha'Ba for Molech or for Avodah Zarah she'Lo k'Darkah (4)]
|4)||"ASHER TA'ASEH B'YAD RAMAH... ES HASH-M HU MEGADEF V'NICHRESAH" (Bamidbar 15:30)||Mevarech Es Hash-m||Kares in Olam ha'Zeh for Avodah Zarah k'Darkah|
|5)||"KI DEVAR HASH-M BAZAH... HIKARES TIKARES"
|Rashi: Avodah Zarah k'Darkah - Kares in Olam ha'Zeh and in Olam ha'Ba (5)
[Tosfos: Porek Ol - Kares in Olam ha'Zeh and in Olam ha'Ba]
|Kares in Olam ha'Ba for Avodah Zarah k'Darkah|
(1) According to Rashi, the Kares of this verse applies only to the Arayos that are discussed in that Parshah, and not to Molech.
(2) That is, according to the opinion that Molech is not Avodah Zarah, the verse is teaching that there is Kares for the sin of Molech. According to the opinion that Molech is Avodah Zarah, the verse is teaching that there is Kares for "Ma'avir Beno" to all forms of Avodah Zarah, even when it is not the manner to serve that particular Avodah Zarah in such a way.
(3) This refers to serving the Avodah Zarah with any one of the four standard Avodos (Zivu'ach, Kitur, Nisuch, Hishtachava'ah), even though this is not the normal manner of serving this Avodah Zarah.
(4) According to Tosfos, the second verse of Kares which is written with regard to Molech is teaching that there is a Chiyuv Kares in Olam ha'Ba for the same sin for which the first verse teaches that there is a Chiyuv Kares in Olam ha'Zeh. (That is, it either teaches Kares for the sin of Molech, or for the sin of serving Avodah Zarah with the four forms of Avodah or with "Ma'avir Beno," when it is not the normal manner of serving that Avodah Zarah; see previous footnote).
(5) According to Rebbi Akiva, Kares is mentioned two times in this verse in order to teach that there is Kares in Olam ha'Zeh, and in Olam ha'Ba. According to Rebbi Yishmael, who maintains that "Dibrah Torah k'Lashon Benei Adam," there is only one Kares mentioned in the verse.