Sanhedrin Chart #4
Chart for Sanhedrin Daf 35a-36a
WHAT OVERRIDES SHABBOS (1) AND AVODAH?
|1)||[AVODAH (2) OVERRIDES SHABBOS] (3)||---||Yes
|BURYING A MES MITZVAH|
|2a)||OVERRIDES AVODAH?||No (5)||Yes
(Kal v'Chomer from 2a:B)
(The Kal v'Chomer is refuted from 3b:B) (7)
|EXECUTING CHAYAVEI MISAH|
(Kal v'Chomer from 3b:B)
("me'Im Mizbechi") (8)
(Kal v'Chomer from 3a:B)
("b'Chol Moshvoseichem") (9)
(1) Wherever Shabbos is mentioned in this chart it includes Yom Tov as well, because there is no difference between Shabbos and Yom Tov other than the allowance to cook for "Ochel Nefesh" (Rashi, beginning of 36a)..)
(2) "Avodah" refers to offering a Korban Tzibur.
(3) This law is not stated explicitly in our Sugya but in other places. However, the entire discussion of our Gemara is based on the assumption that Avodah overrides Shabbos (and Avodah is thus more Chamur than Shabbos).
(4) Bamidbar 28:2, as the Gemara in Pesachim (66a) teaches.
(5) It is not necessary to give a reason for why the Gemara initially suggests that that the burial of a Mes Mitzavah does not override Avodah. On the contrary, why should it override Avodah?
(6) Bamidbar 6:7.
(7) This is also learned from a verse according to the She'iltos (Parashas Vayechi #34 cited by GILYONEI HA'SHAS here; this also appears to be the intention of the MECHILTA in Parashas Mishpatim, Nezikin #4;).
(8) Shemos 21:14. The verse is referring even to a Korban Tzibur since it says "from My Mizbe'ach," implying that the Kohen is offering a Korban which is uniquely chosen by Hash-m (referring to the Korban Tamid, which is the most essential Korban [and is called "Korbani"], Rashi), as Rava says (36a).
(9) Shemos 35:3. We learn through a Gezeirah Shavah ("Moshvoseichem" in Bamidbar 35:29, the verse discussing Misas Beis Din) that even for the sake of executing someone who is Chayav Misah, it is prohibited to ignite a fire on Shabbos.