POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
Prepared by Rabbi P. Feldman
of Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous daf Meilah 8
***** PEREK CHATAS HA'OF ****
1) ME'ILAH OF CHATAS HA'OF
(a) (Mishnah): Me'ilah applies to Chatas ha'Of from when it
is Hukdash (consecrated);
(b) After Melikah, it is fit to become Pasul if touched by a
Tevul Yom or Mechusar Kipurim, or through Linah;
(c) After Haza'ah (sprinkling its blood), one can be liable
[for eating it] on account of Pigul, Nosar and Tamei;
Me'ilah does not apply to it.
(d) (Gemara - Mishnah): After Melikah, it is fit to become
Pasul if touched by a Tevul Yom or Mechusar Kipurim, or
(e) Inference: It will become Pasul if they touch it, it will
not become Tamei (to be Metamei other Kodshim).
(f) Question: Who is the Tana of the Mishnah?
(g) Answer #1: It is like Chachamim:
1. (Beraisa - Aba Shaul): A Tevul Yom is a Rishon
l'Tum'ah regarding Kodshim (and he makes Kodesh a
2) IS "MITZUY" OF A BIRD-OFFERING "ME'AKEV"?
2. R. Meir says, a Tevul Yom makes Kodesh become Tamei
(a Shelishi, which can be Metamei other Kodesh) and
makes Terumah become Pasul (a Shelishi);
(h) Answer #2 (Rava): (Our Mishnah could be like Aba Shaul or
R. Meir -- it is teaching the d'Oraisa law, they are more
3. Chachamim say, just as he is Posel (but not Metamei)
food and drink of Terumah, he is Posel food and
drink of Kodshim.
1. Aba Shaul holds that [earlier] Chachamim made a
Ma'alah (stringency) in Kodshim, to consider a Tevul
Yom like a Rishon l'Tum'ah;
(i) (Mishnah): After Haza'ah, one can be liable... [Me'ilah
does not apply].
2. R. Meir holds that the Ma'alah was to consider a
Tevul Yom like a Sheni;
3. Chachamim say, since he immersed, his Tum'ah is
weak, therefore he is only Posel, he is not Metamei.
(j) Inference: Me'ilah does not apply, but there is an Isur
[even for a Kohen].
(k) Question: Why is it forbidden -- it belongs to the Kohen
(l) Answer (R. Chanina): The case is, it was Yotzei, it is
like R. Akiva;
1. He holds that Zerikah takes effect on Yotzei, but it
is forbidden to eat.
(a) (Rav Huna citing Rav): Mitzuy of Chatas ha'Of is not
1. Rav's text in the Mishnah is, "After Haza'ah..."
(Haza'ah alone achieves atonement).
(b) (Rav Ada bar Ahavah citing Rav): Mitzuy of Chatas ha'Of
1. Rav's text in the Mishnah is "After Mitzuy...."
(c) Question: "Veha'Nish'ar ba'Dam Yimatzei El Yesod
ha'Mizbe'ach Chatas Hu" -- we understand according to Rav
Ada, it is a [valid] Chatas only if Mitzuy was done;
1. But according to Rav Huna, it is valid even without
Mitzuy -- why does it say "veha'Nish'ar" (the rest
of the blood must be pressed on the Mizbe'ach)?
(d) Answer: This teaches like Tana d'Vei R. Yishmael:
1. (Tana d'Vei R. Yishmael - Beraisa): Mitzuy is done
if blood remains (if not, it is not Me'akev).
(e) Question: What do we learn from "Chatas Hu"?
(f) Answer: That refers to the Reisha (Haza'ah, it is